What are Crypto Trading Bots?
Trading bots are programs used to carry out automated algorithmic trading. They connect to crypto exchanges through APIs in order to place small orders very quickly on your behalf. An API is needed for the bot to interact with the exchange of your choice. It is a part of the exchange that allows third parties to pull data from the exchange and make specific changes to an account.
How do Crypto Bots Work?
Crypto Trading bots can follow price fluctuations taking advantage of highs and lows to make a profit by placing orders at speeds that are impossible to perform manually. When setting up these bots, you can choose between your own customized strategies or popular pre-designed ones created by others. Different market types, tokens, and situations will require different trading strategies. Identifying the most suitable strategy for each market will require some research and personal judgment, meaning the process isn’t completely hands-free and does require some input from the user.
Pros of using crypto trading bots
- Much more efficient at using exchange tools and mechanisms such as trailing stops and executing on crypto signals to buy/sell
- Using a profitable bitcoin trading strategy with a bot can mean that you have 24/7 access to the market and a constant stream of profit that wouldn’t be possible with manual trading
- If you are tech-savvy, you can program your bot to do a lot more complex things like arbitrage and accumulation
- Many bots can be tested in various crypto simulation trading platforms, often known as a Crypto Testnet, so you can perfect your strategy before using real money
Cons of using crypto trading bots
- A certain level of crypto knowledge is needed to successfully use bots for trading
- Basic coding knowledge is needed to understand or to personalize trading strategies beyond what a exchange/bot trading platform offers
- There are fees for using bots, if your strategy is inefficient, you may end up paying more in fees than your bot makes in profits
- Having a bot can potentially be a point of weakness for bad actors to gain access to your funds
- Bots are still lacking the human component and will not be able to detect sudden spikes or flash crashes meaning you could end up buying too high or selling too low
Are Trading Bots Profitable?
Yes and no. Because of their technical nature, bots are not entirely suitable for first-time traders or those with no knowledge of cryptocurrencies and basic programming. However, if you do want to start trading Bitcoin for profit, there are some more user-friendly bots that use basic strategies that can still potentially make a profit. The disadvantage of using bots is that you are giving control to what is essentially software written by someone else, which always has risks as nothing is ever 100% foolproof. The less you are able to adapt a bot with your own coding, the more you will be relying on a third party to control your assets. This means that without the insights to recognize warning signs in the market, bad trades are likely to be executed. Some bots do have measures that guard against this, so make sure you carefully examine all the features before you select a bot.
That being said, there are plenty of people who use day-trading bots successfully and are not tech geniuses yet still profit without having to monitor the markets all day.
Using the top trading bots on Phemex
Phemex has partnered with a number of trading bots to make your trading experience as optimized as possible. Phemex customers can use NapBots, Stacked, and many more on our platform. Our most recent integration was with Goose-AX, this bot aims to make trading completely automated with fully customized strategies and proven success.
(Keep up with Phemex Announcements for the latest news on trading bots integrations)